Christ Episcipal Church – The city's oldest public building, underwent construction from 1839 to 1843 and has since continuously served the community. Shell damage caused the Church to install new Tiffany stained glass windows after the War Between the States. The window nearest the street facing the rectory was dedicated to the memory of Annie Lake Green, granddaughter of Judge and Mrs. William Lake of Lakemont.The Church was badly damaged by a tornado in 1953. Workmen involved in repairing the north walk of the tower found evidence of cannonball damage in the upstairs floor joists.

George Washington Ball – A frontier home built in 1822, before Vicksburg was incorporated. Located in the oldest neighborhood in Vicksburg, the home was unrecognizable, obscured by additions and neglect, and its history untold for nearly a century until it was fully restored in 2004. It features a two story veranda, gardens, two parlors and the original slave quarters. George Washington Ball was a distant cousin of our first president. National Register of Historic Places.

Plain Gables – Built by W.S. Bodley and received extensive damage during the siege. Bodley’s brother, Doctor Hugh Bodley, was killed in 1835 when he participated in a raid conducted by citizens to purge illegal gambling from the city. A monument to his memory now stands at the intersection of Farmer, First East, and Openwood Streets.

Duff Green – Built in Greek Revival style and was constructed about 1856. It served as hospital for both Confederate and Union troops. The land on which the mansion stands was a gift from Judge and Mrs. William Lake to their daughter, Mary, and their son-in-law Duff Green.

The McNutt House – Built in 1826 and later purchased for $900.00 by Governor Alexander Gallatin McNutt. McNutt, who was Mississippi’s 12th Governor, added the rear wing in 1832.

Planters Hall – Originally served as the Planters Bank from 1834 until its failure in 1842. The upper floor served as living quarters for the bank president, and the building still contains the original vault and wine cellar.

The Constitution Firehouse – Constructed in 1870. It originally housed horse drawn wagons laden with hoses. The hoses could be placed in public or private cisterns from which water was pumped to the fire. The cupola, atop the firehouse, is from an earlier structure built in 1837. The Vicksburg Art Association now occupies the building.

The Old Courthouse – Built in 1858. The brick structure which years later was covered with stucco, textured to the appearance of stone. During the War, Union prisoners were housed within the second floor courtroom to discourage Union gunners who shelled the city from the river. It was from the courthouse steps that General Ulysses S. Grant watched his victorious troops pass in review. Crowning the courthouse is a cupola from which Grant's troops raised the stars and stripes after entering the city.

Lakemont – A Greek Revival Cottage built by Judge William Lake. Notice the dent on the right front gate. Tradition holds that the fragment of a Union gunboat mortar caused the damage. Judge Lake served as a state senator and later as a U.S. congressman. Judge Lake was elected to serve in the Confederate Congress, but was killed in a duel before reporting to Montgomery, Alabama for service.

The Mary Harwood Home – Built in 1846 by John Fontaine. The home originally faced West toward the river, but was later reoriented to the street. The home still bears scars from the siege. The mistress of the house inspired the name for a nearby Confederate cannon. The Mary Harwood Home, now beautifully restored, once again faces the river.

 

The Coachman’s Quarters – Located less than a block from Anchuca, these corporate apartments offer short-term and long-term options for contractors and business travelers.

RESERVATIONS
Call 1.888.686.0111
or go to our online
reservations page
to make your
reservations today.